By Baiju Nakarja
Bagshot mixed ability and ages overcome an U13 development team.
Firstly I must thank a couple of people.
Harry M for kindly playing for the opposition with a great attitude & catching 2 of the Bagshot players.
Pooja K for supplying the biscuits and fruit.
With a mixed team of U11's, U12's and an U13 we played an U13 Frimley development team.
As is normal Bagshot tradition we lost the toss and were put into bat! That was very welcome as we were short of a few players due to school athletics and the dreaded Friday traffic.
- The opening pair batted well and put on a partnership of 28 net with the loss of 2 wickets. Some steady batting and lovely shots.
- The 2nd pair, one new to cricket, started nervously but grew in confidence and put on a net score of 15 with the loss of 2 wickets.
- The 3rd pair batted sensibly and improved with the calling to get a net score of 24 for the loss of 1 wicket.
- The 4th pair, after running in the school athletics meet, put on a net score of 17 with the loss of 1 wicket.
- The final pair played some lovely shots but were out 3 times with a net score of 27.
There is room for improvement in our batting with a lot more calling and decision making for the runs as well as NOT always trying the play the big shot!!!
All in all, a respectable net score of 111 but the loss of 9 wickets in the innings! We've got to protect our wicket better!
How would we be in the field?
I was extremely encouraged as I could see that the team was up for it. During the half-time team talk they were fantastically attentive and eager to get at the opposition. Out in the field, there was great communication and encouragement and you could see the hunger in their eyes! The bowling was very tidy and the fielding exceptional with everyone eager to back up the stumps and get the ball in quickly. Only 1 over throw by us.
Everyone bowled 2 overs and we were generally very miserly in giving runs away. We took 8 wickets and kept the opposition to a net score of 69.
As the first match of the season, I was pleased with the attitude and application. The players know where they need to improve as they all told me what we must do to improve at the post match briefing.
We'll take the win and look to improve in the next match.
Come on the Baggies!